Here’s one thing we know to be true: there is no universal road map for navigating a long-term relationship. From keeping the sex spark alive, to solid communication, to finding ways to evolve together, you have to find what works for you.
That said, based on the amazing feedback we got on last week’s dating episode, we decided to leverage our long-term relationships experience and do a deeper dive in that area. While we only represent two opinions, we’ve got over 25 years experience between the two of us.
We think you’ll love this episode if you are in a long-term relationship or aspiring to be and are looking for insights on what it takes to make love last for the long haul.
Brooke, an unrelenting romantic, speaks candidly about how she and her husband have kept their good thing going for almost two decades. Clara asks a lot of tough questions about what really matters in the long-term and how you can continue to see your partner as a whole person. We also talk about how to foster your own resilience to better weather the really rough and rocky times.
In this episode we cover:
- How to communicate about sex and keep it going when it’s the last thing on your mind
- How you can start to figure out if someone is “the one” and how that might change through the seasons of your life
- Building a bedrock of communication and the subsequent shorthand of long-term relationships
- Maintaining intimacy in conversation long after the days where you stayed up all night talking
- How to fight with an end in sight and curb the bickering habit
- The power of making time to talk and expressing your love (hint: it’s free)
- Getting clear on the partnership, from finances, to household duties, to child-rearing to not having to be another person’s “everything”
We also revisit some big themes we just can’t stop talking about like:
- How our manifesto can be a real guiding force when it comes to the big stuff
- Getting into your own life because being happy is what makes you hot
- Putting down your device and being wholly present in the relationship
Brooke’s blog posts:
How to express your love (writing a love letter)
Production note: It took us two conversations across a few different locations to cover all this, so you might hear some changes in the background.
Listen and subscribe on iTunes
Listen and subscribe on Stitcher