We know, we know, everyone looooooves to hate on Valentine’s Day. We’d say we get it but, in reality, both of us were super fortunate to grow up in households that treated V-Day as a sweet time to honor the ones you love. It was more about spending time with family and exchanging fun little gifts (and candy, don’t forget the candy!) rather than romance.
Regardless of how you feel about it all, with February 14th right around the corner, we thought we’d take this opportunity to do a deep dive into the crazy world of modern dating.
Clara, herself, is deep into dating as a 30-year-old single female living in New York City. Brooke comes armed with nearly twenty years of relationship experience, and a perspective around building relationships that doesn’t run rampant with apps and texting.
A bit of a warning: get ready for some real talk and tough love.
We think you’ll love this episode if you’re looking to hear what it takes to date in our crazy, mixed-up modern world, how to do so with courage and grace, and, most importantly, protect your heart in the process.
In this episode we cover:
- The keys to using any online dating app
- The emotional foundation you need to have locked down before you can even begin to think about dating
- Why it’s good to take it slow and not imagine walking down the aisle before the waiter fills your water glass
- Why “happy is hot” so you gotta make sure your best self shows up on that date
- The power and necessity of vulnerability in dating
- How to not overthink every little text, gesture, or emoji (yes you, Ms. Overanalyzer) when it comes to dating someone
- Why you should, for the most part, assume positive intent when it comes to getting to know someone
- Why you must not lose sight of your own values (what YOU want) in the process
- Valentine’s Day Reese’s
- Cuffing season
- Dating apps: Match.com, OK Cupid, Tinder, Hinge, Happn
- Washington Post Article: Marry the Person Who Will Help You to the Bathroom
- Mark Manson articles:
- Modern Romance, Aziz Ansari
- Crazy Sexy Miracles
- Article: Read This If You’re Worried That You’ll Never Find ‘The One’
Listen and subscribe on iTunes
Listen and subscribe on Stitcher