At the foundation of how we eat and think about food, after years of trial and error, we keep coming back to two really simple guidelines: eat whole, unprocessed foods from reliable sources; and — if you haven’t figured it out already — there is no better way to treat yourself like gold than to up your veggie game.
Simple, right? Wrong.
Even though we feel like we’ve decoded some of the big diet trends, we are bombarded with so much information about what to eat every day. We still had burning questions. So, we enlisted the help of Miranda Hammer from the clean-eating, healthy-living blog Crunchy Radish.
Aside from being totally delightful and a fabulous food photographer, Miranda is a registered dietitian and natural foods chef with a background in clinical nutrition. Her focus is on creating delicious and nutritious plant-based recipes but overall, she is a wealth of information on all things nutrition. She was kind enough to let us pick her brain for over an hour! Like us, she believes there is no single food blueprint that works for everyone: you have to find what works for you and your body.
We think you’ll love this episode if you’re looking to cut through all the nutrition noise about some of the taboo topics (soy, dairy, fats, carbs) and simply get more vegetables onto your plate throughout the day.
In this episode, we pick Miranda’s brain on all things food and nutrition. We asked her:
- What is the right amount of servings of fruits and vegetables?
- Is it better to eat raw vs. cooked vegetables for digestion?
- What do you do if you hate veggies?
- Why do fruit and carbs get a bad wrap?
- Is it ok to eat soy? Dairy? Fats? And how much?
- How can we prep once and eat all week?
- How do we get out of the salad rut?
- What’s the deal with fermented foods?
- What’s the latest veggie trend?
- Can you OD on nut butter? Because, duh.
- Veggie Soups: Kale & Chickpea, Pea & Mint, Chickpea Cauliflower Stew
- Broccoli Pesto
- Veggie Dips: Red Pepper Dip, Edamame Guacamole, White Bean Garlic Dip,
- Mini Frittatas
- Coconut & Shiitake Bacon Recipes
- Nuttzo Nut Butter
- Mary’s Gone Crackers
Listen and subscribe on iTunes
Listen and subscribe on Stitcher
Image Source: Miranda Hammer